Thursday, April 25, 2013

Tasting- Garnacha de Fuego Old Vines

Name: Garnacha de Fuego Old Vines
Variety: 100% Aragon Grenacha
Region: Catalayud
Country:Spain
Year: 2011
 Price: $8.95


Winery review: The 2011 Garnacha de Fuego, a 100% Grenache cuvee, was aged in both stainless steel and neutral French oak. There are 10,000 cases for the United States. This amazing wine boasts a dark ruby/purple color along with a sweet kiss of jammy black cherries intertwined with crushed rock notes that give the wine an undeniable minerality. As it hits the palate, a full-bodied, voluptuous texture takes hold and the flavor profile moves towards blacker fruits (ripe raspberries and black currants) intermixed with camphor and forest floor. This full-bodied, rich, glycerin-filled effort should drink well for 4-5 years, perhaps longer.
My review: This wine was interesting to me.  At first inhale I got almost a cinnamon hotness.  After swirling it and letting the air in, I got more of a very fruit forward (mostly cherry) aroma and something that reminded me of laundry detergent.  The taste was fruity and pretty dry with a slight sweetness to balance it out.  It had a very spicy finish that hing around for a while.  Only having 4 wines brought a dilemma, so John and I tried something from our collection we hadn't yet and it did not disappoint.  I was a huge fan of this wine and would definitely consider buying a bottle on my next trip.

This wine was tasted on its own with no food.

No comments:

Post a Comment